Since Pea number one is thinking of gray and yellow for her wedding party, I decided to speak with some friends and family about this whole gray thing. The consensus was that the older the female person was, the less likely they wore that color. However, there were also some pros for wearing that color, especially from the male view. Didn’t have to worry much of color coordination and it hid such things as gravy spots and clothing wrinkles.
Youngsters seemed to be stuck on this color. Of course with youthful glow, great hair, no wrinkles and nice shapes, how could gray look bad?
On the other hand, I tried on some gray tops recently. It aged me fifteen years. Back on the rack they went, with me leaving the store with a bagful of tops in sherbet colors of yellow, peach and pale green.
When I spoke to my sister-in-law about this, she said gray has become the new beige. I looked at her and then remembered something she had remarked to me about years ago as we were walking through a parking lot of a pricey department store. We saw nothing but BMWs, Lincoln Town Cars, Mercedes’ and even a Rolls thrown in for class. They were all the same beige color. I think Champagne was the technical name. And the women who drove them had beige hair, beige clothing, beige shoes and handbags. The Beige Women. Plus they all had what we jokingly called “The Handbook”. You know, the unwritten rule book that women of this type all have and follow to the letter. How to wear your hair, what clothing to buy for each season or occasion, where to buy it, acceptable cars, and so on. Human Lemmings. Her title, not mine.
I don’t believe gray has quite hit that level, but I do see a lot of young women wearing it. And they can pull it off. We older folks have an on-going battle trying to keep color in our cheeks and our hair, than to wear gray.
Okay, I’m off my soapbox for now. I personally don’t care what color scheme Pea chooses. I’ll be looking at her and C. Everything else will fade into the background.
So in closing, love to all the Peas. And by the way, Happy Belated Birthday to Pea #1. I have some fresh roasted coffee and a few other things for you. Send me an address or are you still coming to Happy Valley? Pea #2……….ohhhh, it’s a guy thing. Pea #3……how’s the new apartment and Dutch? Pea #4……where the heck are you? In the ocean or home? And I have added another Pea from up by the East Cameron Homestead. Pea #5, who I believe has also moved. Hope things are going well for you and yours. Can’t wait to meet your little Peas at the wedding.
‘til later,
SF
Thursday, July 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hello!!
ReplyDeleteFirst, I agree that grey is the "it" color of the moment, but here's a small bit of additional insight into my choice of grey : unlike "beige women", I really like other colors, and so I just like to use grey as the background to make the other colors "pop"! That's how I'm hopping to use it in the wedding, as something that just compliments our use of yellow and sticks out against all of the green that will surround us outside.
In other color news Pea #4 and I spent the day in New York City yesterday, where she tried on an beautiful yellow dress that might be our choice for the bridesmaids. I'll send you a picture soon!
ps your coffee is GOLD! My Boston address will work until the end of August and I don't have my State College address yet, but I'll let you know when I do.
I love grey! It's my favorite color, but everyone is pushing me to add color to my closet.
ReplyDeletePs. I'm back on the mainland..living in a new house in phillly!
If you'd like to see some shots from my trip, check out http://schuter.tumblr.com/